- General Information
- Trips and Events
- Join AUTC
- Log In
- Recent posts
Gear can be borrowed for use on AUTC trips (ie trips advertised via the mailing list/website) at no charge. Non-club trips and non-members may hire gear for a fee which will be worked out on a case-by-case basis. Bookings are taken on a first in first served basis, but with club members having first priority - we reserve the right to give gear booked by non-members to members with at least a weeks notice. A return date will be arranged at the time of hire, and failure to meet this may result in further charges and/or removal of hire privileges. A deposit/bond will be taken to encourage prompt return of gear.
Gear we have available for hire:
- Tents (both tramping and car camping types, 2-4 person available.)
- Emergency Shelters (fit 8+ people)
- Cookers (gas canister and white fuel types)
- Pots/Billys (up to 6L)
- Topographical maps of nearly all the wilderness areas in both the North and South Islands
- Compasses (Silva type)
- Emergency Locator Beacons (EPIRBS)
- Tramping Flies (basic lightweight shelter for bivvying and emergency)
Contact our Gear Officer Carl (gear [at] autc [dot] org [dot] nz) to arrange gear hire with the following details:
- Start/Finish dates of trip
- What kind of trip is it? (alpine/bush/camping)
- Tents: how many people?
- Cookers: (gas/white fuel)
- Is this a club trip (ie will it be advertised on the mailing list to other members, club trips do get priority)
Basically the more details you provide, the more the club can help. We don't hire personal gear items such as sleeping bags, raincoats, boots or packs as we feel that most people should own these sorts of items as they are specific to each person and are required on all overnight trips. If you don’t have these however and can’t find anyone to borrow off, try Living Simply for good quality gear hire.
There is also a range of alpine gear available, this can be hired out by contacting our Alpine Officer (alpine [at] autc [dot] org [dot] nz) well in advance by email. Pickup is on the Thursday evening before your trip after 8pm. A deposit may be required (especially for longer trips, and those requiring technical gear). As the primary hirer you are responsible for all loss or damage to the equipment. Equipment lost, stolen or damaged will be charged for at replacement cost at the Alpine Officers discretion. You will also need to have completed the appropriate level of snowcraft training (such as one of our snowschools) before hiring out alpine gear.
More details are available on the AURAC Alpine Gear Page.
Where To Buy Gear
Tramping Retailers who offer discounts for AUTC members (you need to ask) include:
- Bivouac (Queen Street, Newmarket and Sylvia Park)
- Living Simply (Newmarket)
- Macpac (Newmarket)
- Mountain Designs (Downtown and Newmarket)